Beginner/Intermediate | 8:30am - 6:00pm April 8-15, 2017 | Hesperia, California
Come join Cal Earth Institute as we combine sustainable architecture with sustainable heating systems! This combination workshop is very much hands-on and is geared towards someone who wants to build and create a useable space right away.
In this workshop you will learn how to build your own house and how to build a super high-efficiency masonry heater in only nine days!
- The workshop will include the full Core Curriculum taught at Cal Earth Institute during the first five days
- Students will participate in building a complete domed structure on site and all theoretical and conceptual details
- The masonry heater is also a full build, from beginning to end.
About Masonry Heaters
Masonry Heaters burn fuel at 90+ percent efficiency, producing almost no polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons and double burning the fuel and the gases so that the fuel-to-heat ratio is extremely efficient. Along with this the system produces instant radiative heat, instant hot cooking surfaces and longterm conductive heating of the building which last for many hours once the thermal flywheel has momentum. The combustion chamber design is discussed in detail; the dynamics and theory of fire are discussed in detail; cob, earthen plasters and insulative elements are discussed in detail, as well as finishes, artistic flourishes and custom design considerations.
Cost: $1600 early bird/$1800 regular
$400 deposit required to reserve space
early bird price by April 1, 2017
Due to the unique nature of this combined workshop the deposit is nonrefundable. If for some reason you cannot attend your deposit can be transferred to a future CalEarth workshop.
April 8-15, 2017
STEP 1 - Fill out application (REQUIRED)
STEP 2 - submit payment (Required to reserve your spot)
- Workshop check-in and orientation is at 8:30am, please arrive promptly.
- Please plan to stay through the final evening at about 8pm. We recommend making travel plans to return home the following day, you are welcome to stay on-site the last night so you don't have to rush out. You may also arrive the afternoon/evening before the workshop (after 3pm) if needed for your travel plans. Please confirm this with us if you plan on extended stay.
- Breakfast is provided each morning of the workshop, as well as lunch on the first day. You will be responsible the remaining lunches/dinners. We have plenty of restaurants and grocery stores nearby and a kitchen on-site for storage and cooking.
- We will provide each person a small folder with paper and a pen, but feel free to bring a notepad if you prefer.
- Please wear work clothes including a hat and proper closed toed shoes (sandals not permitted). Please bring your own work gloves as well as a pair of plastic/rubber gloves for wet work.
- The weather in the high desert can fluctuate significantly, so we recommend checking the weather online prior to your arrival, and bringing layers to ensure you are prepared. You'll receive an additional email after you apply with more information on what to bring, especially if you will be staying on-site.
- Participants ages 15+ allowed to attend with a parent or guardian.
- You are welcome to take photos but video and audio recording are not permitted.
- There is limited wifi access on site
If for some reason you are unable to attend the workshop you registered for, your deposit may also be applied to another course that same year if you notify Cal-Earth at least two weeks before the start of a course.
If you wish to withdraw completely and cannot reschedule, a $50 registration fee will be deducted and your remaining balance refunded if you notify Cal-Earth two weeks prior to the start of the workshop. Any cancellations within two weeks of the workshop will not be refunded, only transfered.
If Cal-Earth cancels the workshop due to low enrollment your tuition will be fully refunded or transferred.