Beginner/Intermediate | Friday-Sunday (Dates coming soon) | Hesperia, California
Come join Cal Earth Institute to learn about sustainable heating systems!
In this workshop you will learn how to build a super high-efficiency masonry heater in only 2.5 days!
Prerequisite for attending this class: Any in-person CalEarth Superadobe workshop (one day Intro, Core Weekend A, Core Curriculum 4 day, etc.).
- This workshop requires prior attendance of any other CalEarth workshop as we discuss some Superadobe/earth architecture concepts as part of the curriculum. There is no Superadobe component to this workshop other than the fact that the rocket stove will be built inside (or outside and attached to) a Superadobe structure.
- The rocket stove masonry heater is a full build from beginning to end.
About Masonry Heaters
Masonry Heaters burn fuel at 90+ percent efficiency, producing almost no polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons and double burning the fuel and the gases so that the fuel-to-heat ratio is extremely efficient. Along with this the system produces instant radiative heat, instant hot cooking surfaces and longterm conductive heating of the building which last for many hours once the thermal flywheel has momentum. The combustion chamber design is discussed in detail; the dynamics and theory of fire are discussed in detail; cob, earthen plasters and insulative elements are discussed in detail, as well as finishes, artistic flourishes and custom design considerations.
Cost: $550 early bird/$650 regular
STEP 1 - Fill out application (REQUIRED)
STEP 2 - submit payment (Required to reserve your spot)
- Workshop check-in and orientation is Friday afternoon at 3pm. You may arrive on-site anytime after 12pm that day if that is easier for your travel plans.
- Please plan to stay through the final evening at about 7pm. We recommend making travel plans to return home the following day, you are welcome to stay on-site the last night so you don't have to rush out. Please confirm this with us if you plan on extended stay.
- Breakfast is provided each morning of the workshop. You will be responsible the remaining lunches/dinners. We have plenty of restaurants and grocery stores nearby and a kitchen on-site for storage and cooking.
- We will provide each person a small folder with paper and a pen, but feel free to bring a notepad if you prefer.
- Please wear work clothes including a hat and proper closed toed shoes (sandals not permitted). Please bring your own work gloves as well as a pair of plastic/rubber gloves for wet work.
- The weather in the high desert can fluctuate significantly, so we recommend checking the weather online prior to your arrival, and bringing layers to ensure you are prepared. You'll receive an additional email after you apply with more information on what to bring, especially if you will be staying on-site.
- Participants ages 15+ allowed to attend with a parent or guardian.
- You are welcome to take photos but video and audio recording are not permitted.
- There is limited wifi access on site
If for some reason you are unable to attend the workshop you registered for, your deposit may also be applied to another course that same year if you notify Cal-Earth at least two weeks before the start of a course.
If you wish to withdraw completely and cannot reschedule, a $50 registration fee will be deducted and your remaining balance refunded if you notify Cal-Earth two weeks prior to the start of the workshop. Any cancellations within two weeks of the workshop will not be refunded, only transfered.
If Cal-Earth cancels the workshop due to low enrollment your tuition will be fully refunded or transferred.