CERAMICS Workshop "A" - CLAY HANDBUILDING
$100 discount if you sign up for ceramics weekend a+B!
Beginner | 8:00am - 5:00pm Saturday & Sunday | Hesperia, California
Open to all experience levels, geared toward those with little to no previous clay experience. Students are encouraged to participate in both A and B workshops for a complete and well rounded experience, though it is not mandatory and options are available if you only want to participate in one of the weekends.
Create personal, handmade gifts for friends and family while learning an exciting craft, or gift the workshop and share the experience with someone special!
An exciting session that is designed to expose students to traditional hand building techniques based around pottery making and sculptural art. Emphasis will be on preparation, form, shaping clay, and decoration techniques.
- Overview stages of clay from raw form to fired ceramics
- Shaping clay techniques: Form, pinch, coil, slab, connecting shapes
- Surface decoration: Colored clay slips, burnishing, texture, brush work, carving
- Students get enough clay to create 3-6 forms for firing (depending on size)
- Bisque firing included if returning and signed up for the following Ceramics (B) workshop
- Stay overnight at Cal-Earth
Students are encouraged to return for the Ceramics (B) workshop the following weekend in order to glaze and finish fire their pieces at Cal-Earth. If not, students may take their unfired pieces home.
December 9-10, 2017
SIGN UP STEP 1 - Fill out application (REQUIRED)
SIGN UP STEP 2 - submit payment (Required to reserve your spot)
- Workshop check-in and orientation is at 8:00am, please arrive promptly.
- Please plan to stay through Sunday evening. We recommend making travel plans to return home Monday, you are welcome to stay on-site Sunday night so you don't have to rush out. You may also arrive the afternoon/evening before the workshop (after 3pm) if needed for your travel plans. Please confirm this with us if you plan on extended stay.
- You will be responsible for your own meals. Typically we all participate in a barbecue or group dinner. We have plenty of restaurants and grocery stores nearby and a kitchen on-site for storage and cooking.
- The weather in the high desert can fluctuate significantly, so we recommend checking the weather online prior to your arrival, and bringing layers to ensure you are prepared. You'll receive an additional email after you apply with more information on what to bring, especially if you will be staying on-site.
- Participants ages 15+ allowed to attend with a parent or guardian.
- You are welcome to take photos but video and audio recording are not permitted.
- There is limited Wi-Fi access on site
If for some reason you are unable to attend the workshop you registered for, your deposit may also be applied to another course that same year if you notify Cal-Earth at least two weeks before the start of a course.
If you wish to withdraw completely and cannot reschedule, a $50 registration fee will be deducted and your remaining balance refunded if you notify Cal-Earth two weeks prior to the start of the workshop. Any cancellations within two weeks of the workshop will not be refunded, only transfered.
If Cal-Earth cancels the workshop due to low enrollment your tuition will be fully refunded or transferred.